Friday, July 9, 2010

invasion of the fruit fly

Okay, so I realize that fruit flies probably serve some larger purpose in life.  However, I do not like them.  I especially hate that once you get fruit flies they are nearly impossible to get rid of.  We are not dirty people.  Sure, sometimes we'll let the dishes sit over night before washing them and I haven't washed the windows since we moved in three years ago.  But, our trash is always taken out on a regular basis, we try to clean the shower, and we do wash the dishes regularly.

Why are we being invaded by fruit flies????? 

We've tried a couple different traps, but nothing seemed to work.  Our first traps consisted of bananas, cherries, raspberries, plastic bottles and electric tape.

Then, we tried balsamic vinegar, a jar and some cellophane.  

I was stressing out, thinking I need to get rid of these little monsters and fast. And then, Eureka! 






Seriously, Eureka.  

I set out some fruit and waited for the flies to congregate.  Then, I turned on my powerful fruit fly sucking trap.  They don't have a chance.  I do look absolutely ridiculous vacuuming fruit and chasing fruit flies around the house with a vacuum hose.  But, I think the fruit fly invasion of 2010 is almost over thanks to my trusty vacuum.

1 comment:

  1. If they congregate on a surface, spray them with several aggressive squirts windex or a similar kind of cleaner. It coats their little wings and then you can squish them.

    How annoying!

    ReplyDelete