Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Queen of Mediocrity

I actually wrote the other post from today a couple days ago, but I was having problems posting...so you get a bonus post today. Will you accept two for one as repayment for my failure to blog for months? Even if you won't, I can't change the past...so moving forward...

I'm in the midst of writing my law review paper. It is, of course, taking longer than I expected. I really enjoy writing, but I am not passionate about the topic I chose. I am arguing that the State of Wisconsin should require district attorneys to publish goals, priorities, and performance measurements to increase accountability. It's not that it's a really bad topic; it's generally a novel proposal and there's enough meat to create a 30-pager. However, I don't really know how timely or relevant it is.  Oh well . . . I don't have to write an award winning paper, and lots of academic writing is boring.  But, how do you even find a topic you're passionate about?

Is anyone else jealous of the stick-to-it passion other people have? For example, my old roommate Amber does everything she does with passion. She plays her violin and ultimate frisbee with gusto; she wins paddle and portage competitions and takes cross country skiing to the max. I feel like I'm always searching for a new passion. I take a new hobby up for a couple days, weeks or months and then get bored.

Examples:
  • I learned to play Oh When the Saints Go Marching In on the harmonica and that was more than enough for me.
  • I've attempted to take up knitting at least 5 times - I'm currently on a streak that has involved knitting every few days for more than 2 weeks which is my longest streak yet. 
  • I loved acting in high school (and would probably still love it) but I'm always intimidated by the ridiculous time commitment.
  • I've learned basic Spanish vocabulary more than once.
  • I go through cooking spells where I bake or cook really difficult and tasty dishes, and then I eat at Taco Bell for months because I don't want to be exhausted by the cooking.
  • I biked the MS-150 and then stopped exercising for months.
  • I have at least 3 unfinished sewing projects in my basement.  
Is this adult onset ADD? I sometimes feel like I am the queen of mediocrity - I can do just about anything, but I never have enough passion for any one thing to inspire me to dedicate myself to excellence. I'm torn between embracing this jack of all trades mentality and really craving the exhilaration of being focused on excelling at one thing.

This whole topic also has me a little concerned about what I want out of my law degree. I'm excited about working at a firm this summer, but I have no idea if I really want to pursue a traditional law career. I also know that I am capable of excelling, but I know that the cost of excelling at work will probably mean of loss of time to discover my passion(s).

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone else overcome this problem? What did you do or are you doing?

1 comment:

  1. I got pretty worried that I was becoming a start-thirty-things-and-never-finish-twenty-eight-of-them kind of person, but then I realized that actually, I just value my time enough to not return to something that I *don't* feel like doing. You're not ADD-like if you're getting your work done for law school, which it sounds like you are! From everything I've heard, being in law school turns anyone's life upside-down and you just need to find ways to balance it enough to enjoy the things you *truly* want to do.

    ReplyDelete