Friday, August 31, 2012

The ABCs of Mommyhood: A

Here we go. Maybe if I have a theme, it will be easier for me to get in a habit of writing a blog. I really want to make this into a habit! I remember reading somewhere that it takes about a month to form a habit. There are 26 letters in the alphabet, so that will almost get me through a month. Maybe I will excel at this and only need 26 days!

My goal is to blog on topics relating to motherhood that relate to every letter of the alphabet. I will take creative license if I cannot come up with something that starts with difficult letters, like X and Z. This theme isn't all that creative, but it gives me a good prompt to work with.

So, without further ado, the letter A.

As I was walking Alex in the stroller yesterday morning, I kept trying to come up with a blog post about the letter A. My first thought was "Alphabet!" But he's too young to start saying his alphabet. Though I do sing the song to him occasionally, I don't have much else to say about that. My second thought was "Avocado." Ben has tried feeding him avocado a couple times, and Alex seems to enjoy it. What more is there to say? They are green, they grow in California (which you would think would make them cheaper since we live here, but alas this is not the case in Silicon Valley), they mush nicely . . . .

Other A words I considered:
Animals
Acrobats
Apples
Aspirin

No word seemed quite right for my first ABC post. Then, I realized how big of a dope I was being. My kid's name is Alex. Obviously, the A word I should use is Alex! So, this is a little introduction to my blue-eyed, blonde-haired baby boy.

Alex came into our lives on February 9, 2012. He's not quite 7 months old. He's persistent and continues to try each new skill until he masters it. It's actually quite funny to watch (says the doting mother). He'll attempt a new skill, such as rolling over. When he doesn't immediately succeed, he'll try again. And again. And again. And again. Then, he starts to fuss. I let him. Then, he starts to yell. I let him. Then, he starts to scream. I let him. Then, skill mastered. It seems he has to get mad enough to find the strength to complete new tasks.

Alex loves being held in the Baby Bjorn. I carry him around in that thing until my legs are tired as can be. But, he falls asleep in it so quickly when he's tired that I don't want to give up using it.

Alex is quick to smile. He loves smiling at strangers, especially women. I fear he will be a ladies man; let's hope I can teach him to be a gentleman too. His little laugh is still developing. I can tell it's a laugh because he has a big grin and makes this "hu! hu! hu!" sound, like he's forcing all the air out of his lungs.

Alex is awake - so no more blogging for today. He's probably found himself standing in his crib and cannot figure out how to sit back down.



Til tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment